Aside from great quality products, another aspect that consumers look for in a great business is its ability to deliver on time. Nobody likes any delays in their shipments as this would only result in frustration and loss of sales. Shipment is the last step of the order fulfillment process so it’s going to be a vital part of your business.
If you are a business owner, you need to find a shipping partner that is aligned with your goals. Read more to understand the different freight services and how you can find the perfect shipping partner for you.
Types of Freight Services
Depending on the products you sell, you may need to use a particular freight service that can accommodate the goods. When it comes to shipment, you need to familiarize yourself with the following common freight services to determine which one suits your business:
- Land freight
Land freight is the type of service wherein the products are delivered by trucks. For this freight service, you can choose from two delivery options depending on the products you are shipping:
- Full Truckload (FTL) - the ideal option for oversized and overweight cargo that will fill the entire truck. This is also the best option if you are shipping temperate-controlled cargo or hazardous materials. Delivery time is also faster with this since the products will be sent directly to the destination.
- Less Than Truckload (LTL) - land delivery option if you are shipping small amounts or volumes of items. Delivery time is slower because usually, it will drop off products to other destinations as well.
However, land delivery is only used when transporting goods domestically. If your products are sourced and manufactured in China, this is obviously not an option.
- Sea freight
Sea freight or ocean freight is the most cost-efficient delivery option if you are shipping products from China to other countries. It can accommodate bulk shipments meaning you can ship products regardless of weight, size, and shape. There are two types of sea delivery as well:
- Full Container Load (FCL) - option when goods can fill a 20- or 40-foot container. Delivery is faster and cheaper than LCL since customs procedures are uncomplicated and importing fees are fixed.
- Less than Container Load (LCL) - option when filling an entire container is not possible and you are just shipping smaller amounts of goods.
While sea freight is the more economical option, the delivery time may take a while so this is not a viable option for products that are on a time constraint.
- Air freight
If your products need to be shipped immediately or budget is not really a great concern, air freight is the best delivery option. It offers fast transportation time to any point worldwide. However, this is preferred only for lightweight products since the costs may rise due to the volume of these goods.
Choosing the right shipping partner
Once you have determined which freight service is suitable for your products, the next step is to find a shipping partner that would give you the best service. The global supply chain is constantly expanding and the distribution should also keep up with the intense demand.
Choosing a shipping partner is important since they will be in charge of delivering your products to your customers. They will also be responsible for ensuring that your products will be delivered in great condition and maintain their quality throughout the shipment process.
Below are the factors that you need to consider when choosing your shipping partner:
- Experience. When choosing a shipping company, you might want to choose someone with plenty of experience. They tend to be more reliable and you can be reassured that they can handle unexpected problems such as in warehousing or customs.
- Services offered. Not all shipping companies offer the same type of services so you need to check whether their services are suitable for the products you are shipping. However, they should provide important services such as insurance, tracking, and customs clearance.
- Delivery costs. Of course, price should be taken into consideration as well. Although you might be tempted to go for the shipping company with the lowest prices, they may not be the right fit for you. You need to find the balance between a reasonable price range and the quality of service. Always keep your consumers in mind and that they shouldn’t be burdened with high delivery fees.
- Delivery location. If your business caters to international customers, you need to verify that your preferred freight service delivers to that particular location. There will also be instances where the customer’s location isn’t located in a big city and your package might be transferred to another logistics company for local delivery. You need to coordinate with the freight service to ensure that your products will be safely handed to your customers on time and in great condition.
- Customer service. The shipment process is delicate and you will need the help you can get to guarantee the safe delivery of your products. If you encounter problems during this stage, the customer service of your freight service should always be ready to address your concerns.
Steps on Choosing a Shipment Partner
Once you know the components to look for in a reliable shipment partner, you can now start finding one. Here are the steps for finding a suitable service provider:
- Do your research. The first thing you need to do when looking for a shipping partner is to research different freight service providers. Many shipping companies offer their services to businesses nowadays and it is your job to research which ones are available to you.
- Go over their services. Depending on the products you are selling, you need a shipping partner that can accommodate them. Maybe you need a particular service for your product that might not be available from other shipping companies.
- Inquire and compare their costs. If you are shipping heavy products, it’s going to be more expensive so you need to be mindful of the costs. You might want to inquire about their fees and compare them with other shipping companies so you can determine which one offers a more cost-effective solution for you.
- Ensure the reliability of the company. At this point, you probably have a shortlist of your preferred shipping companies or you are leaning towards one already. To solidify your decision, you need to make sure that the shipping company is reliable. You can read reviews of other businesses that have availed their products before. This will give you an idea of how the company operates and if they do take care of their clients.
When it comes to running a business, customer satisfaction will dictate the success of your business. You may have great quality products but they would be all for nothing if they get damaged during shipment. To avoid this problem and incur more costs, you need to get a reliable shipping partner.
Finding a dependable shipping company is hard work but you don’t have to do it alone. Lansil Global is here to help. We make the shipment process easy by connecting you to a reliable shipping company that suits your business. We guarantee that your products will be in good hands and that they will be sent to your customer’s doorstep in great condition. What are you waiting for? Contact us today and we’ll find you the best shipping company for you.
Did you know that Lansil Global also offers other services that are beneficial for your business? We don’t just assist you with the shipment process but we can also help you out on other aspects. We look forward to working with you!